How to choose the right size for your carpet? - Living room
When the clients ask us whether there is a “golden rule” when choosing the size of a carpet for their living, our answer is always the same: There is no “golden rule”! It all depends on your taste, the place you have, and the type of furniture you already have in that room.
There are, however, 3 main options when talking about size:
A large rug, where all furniture pieces, such as armchairs, sofas, corner sofa, tables and footstools will sit on. Such a living room will look more pulled together when you choose such a size. What do you take into account when you decide for this layout? There are a few tips, amongst which:
- Keep your rug around 30 to 40 cm away from the free, visible walls;
- Make sure the distance from the back feet/side of the furniture to the edge of the carpet is of at least 10-15 cm
- Be careful with a too intricate pattern, since some of the pieces of the furniture will cover it and the effect will be lost
Again a fairly large rug, but in this case, only the front feet of the furniture will sit on the rug. You will still achieve the pulled together look, with a slightly smaller budget. There are of course a few tips to help you measure the right size:
- The same as above, keep your rug around 30 to 40 cm away from the free, visible walls;
- Depending on how high are the feet of your sofa, for example, you need to make sure your carpet lies far enough under it so you don’t get to see the floor under.
A small rug, lying free between all pieces of furniture could also be a solution. This is when you want to bring a carpet with a particular pattern or a bright colour in your living room. It can work, as long as you take the following into account:
- A small rug will make your room look smaller as well, so be careful with this in small, dark living rooms;
- Think about that coffee table. Go for smaller side tables instead, so you can actually enjoy the carpet and it’s design even more.
As we said above, there is no “golden rule”, therefore feel free to improvise, combine or use any of the above tips. At the end of the day, it is your home we are talking about, and you should decorate it according to your taste.
We are of course here to help you choose the right carpet, so don’t hesitate to contact us.
Please see below a few drawings to help you a little more when choosing the size.
Our rugs & carpets
ONLINE / BUY
IN THE SHOP
WE WILL ALWAYS OFFER YOU THE HIGHEST LEVEL OF SERVICE AND QUALITY